This nonprofit course will be offered in a bite-size learning format,
with lessons broken down into 3-7 minute segments.
How to Research, Build Relationships, Write, and Win the Grant for Your Nonprofit
Digestible, Snackable Bitesize Micro Lessons On-Demand Course!
Writing grants is not just about the words you use or the statistics you utilize. It is a complicated combination of factors to engage your grantmakers so that they say “Yes!” and you win the grant award for your organization.
This Micro Lesson will provide you with the basic knowledge and understanding of what the grant life cycle looks like at each step. From the initial idea that your nonprofit would like grant funding, through grant research, building relationships with grantmakers, writing the grant application and related materials, and finally how to manage the grant fund once funding is awarded.
In this course, we will focus on how to use the common key elements to create a competitive grant application that tells a story that engages the grant reviewer so that they are excited to fund your organization’s work.
What you will learn during this Micro Lessons course:
- How to know how your grantmakers perceive your organization’s grant readiness
- How grant applications vary by grantmaker type
- How to conduct grant funder research
- How to build new relationships with grantmakers
- How to maintain relationships with current grantmakers
- How to prepare to write your grant application
- How to develop your application elements
- How to write to engage your grantmakers
- How to ensure your grant is competitive
- How to include grant management requirements in your application
This Micro Lesson includes 5 Units and 15 Lessons:
- Unit 1: “Grant Readiness” (Lessons 1-3)
- Course Introduction
- Lesson 1 (The Grant Life Cycle)
- Lesson 2 (How to be Grant Ready for Foundation Grants)
- Lesson 3 (How to be Grant Ready for Government Grants)
- Unit 2: “Grant Research” (Lessons 4-5)
- Lesson 4 (How to Conduct the Research)
- Lesson 5 (What to Research)
- Unit 3: “Grantmaker Relationships” (Lessons 6-7)
- Lesson 6 (How to Establish Relationships with New Grantmakers)
- Lesson 7 (How to Maintain Relationships with Existing Grantmakers)
- Unit 4: “Grant Writing” (Lessons 8-10)
- Lesson 8 (Steps 1 - 3 of Writing a Grant)
- Lesson 9 (Steps 4 - 6 of Writing a Grant)
- Lesson 10 (3 Universal Elements of a Competitive Grant)
- Unit 5: “Grant Management” (Lesson 11)
- Lesson 11 (How to Write a Stronger Application Based on Grant Management Requirements)
You’ll Get These BONUS Materials:
- The Micro Lessons Slides
- Research Priorities Template
- Next-Level Gratitude Action Guide
- Grant Application Submission Checklist
About Your Instructor:
Diane H. Leonard, GPC, RST is a Grant Professional Certified (GPC), Approved Trainer of the Grant Professionals Association, and a Registered Scrum Trainer.
Diane began her career as a Program Officer for a state-wide grantmaking organization and she continues to serve as a reviewer for a variety of grantmaking organizations. Since 2006, when she formed DH Leonard Consulting, Diane and her team have secured more than $98 million dollars in competitive grant awards and Diane has personally trained more than 69,978 nonprofit professionals.
When not working with her team, Diane can be found in the 1000 Islands, out for a run, or drinking a strong cup of coffee.