Grant Maker Relationships 101: How to Get Started
This recorded course is brought to you by a GPA-approved trainer. Diane Leonard, GPC is 1 of only 25 GPA-approved trainers.
Participating in “Grantmaker Relationships 101: How to Get Started” will teach you how to establish relationships with new grantmakers *BEFORE* submitting an application. Relationships are as critical a component of the grant-seeking process as they are with individual donors, but are often overlooked due to time constraints or due to discomfort with a grant maker’s preference or capacity for communication.
Yes, it is possible for well-written proposals to be funded without first reaching out to a new potential grantmaker, but the success rates are significantly higher for those who establish a relationship prior to submission.
In this recorded nonprofit webinar, we will discuss how to establish and then maintain relationships with grantmakers in order to sustain and increase your organization’s grant revenue. We will walk through unique success stories from several nonprofits as case studies to show how relationships can be started
Participating in “Grantmaker Relationships 101: How to Get Started” will strengthen your grant funder relationship-building efforts and ultimately your grant funding success.
What You Will Learn from this Nonprofit Development Webinar:
- How do you establish relationships with grant funders
- How to be develop talking points for relationship building
- How to be consistent in relationship building
- How to demonstrate creativity in approach
- How to vary your approach based on the type of grant funder (i.e. private foundation versus government)
- How to involve your grant team in relationship development and maintenance
- How to treat grant funder relationships like individual donor relationships
- How to utilize board and staff connections in establishing relationships
- How to manage and improve relationships with grant funders
- How to develop a plan for what outreach activities to utilize and how to manage current grantor relationships
- How to transition relationships with funders during staffing changes
- How to enhance existing relationships with grant funders
This Recorded Webinar is Perfect For You If…
- Relationship development with new potential funders is not a part of your current grant-seeking process.
- Relationship maintenance with your current grant funders is not a conscious part of your current grant-seeking process.
- There is room for improvement with how your organization establishes and maintains relationships with its new and existing grant funders.
You’ll Get These BONUS Materials:
- Grantmaker relationship outreach checklist
- Grantmaker talking point template
- Grantmaker relationship questionnaire template
- Tool for managing your relationship touchpoints
- Grantmaker relationship case study summaries
- Webinar slides
- Webinar recording
About Your Topic Expert:
Diane is specifically qualified to teach this webinar because:
- She is a Grant Professional Certified (GPC).
- She is an approved Trainer for the Grant Professionals Association.
- She began her career as a grantmaker.
- She has raised over $95.5 million for clients.
- She has trained over 69,206 professionals since 2006.
Diane H. Leonard, GPC, RST is a Grant Professional Certified (GPC), Approved Trainer of the Grant Professionals Association, and a Registered Scrum Trainer.
Diane began her career as a Program Officer for a state-wide grantmaking organization and she continues to serve as a reviewer for a variety of grantmaking organizations. Since 2006, when she formed DH Leonard Consulting, Diane and her team have secured more than $98 million dollars in competitive grant awards and Diane has personally trained more than 69,978 nonprofit professionals.
When not working with her team, Diane can be found in the 1000 Islands, out for a run, or drinking a strong cup of coffee.
What Attendees Said about This Nonprofit Webinar:
“I have been handling grants and building grant relationships for more than 10 years. I greatly appreciated these fresh ideas for reaching-out before writing and during the grant award period to build meaningful and mutual relationships with funders. Lot's more I now want to do- thank you!”
Sharon Lowe, Austin Clubhouse
“Diane made what can be an intimidating topic approachable. She broke down some practical steps that give one confidence to move forward.”
Debby Riordan, Association Montessori International / USA
“I am new to the nonprofit environment and tasked to perform many new jobs and duties related to development. Grants and grant writing are new and Grant Maker Relationship 101 was the perfect starting point for me. Well laid out and presented, I now have a basic understanding of the how and the courage to go out and make that call (or send that email) to a prospective grantmaker.”
Marshall Martin, National Naval Aviation Museum
“Diane not only walked the webinar participants through common pitfalls with regard to building relationships with grantmakers, she gave us actionable strategies for communicating with grantmakers and turning the somewhat awkward moment of introduction into real opportunities for nonprofits.”
Virginia Loperana, Habitat for Humanity New York City
“Valuable insight and excellent tips on how to develop new and sustainable relations with Grantmakers.”
Charlene Anderson, Tri-Valley Conservancy
“This presenter is awesome! I have attended several of her webinars and would be open to hearing her on virtually any topic related to securing grant funding.”
Patrice Zahry, Community Coordinated Care for Children
“This webinar was very insightful and touched on key points to creating and maintaining a relationship with grantors. I very much enjoyed the helpful suggestions regarding what would seem like a simple task like reaching out via email or phone. While simple enough it can be very daunting to reach out to grantors especially when initially making that relationship.”
Kayla Rice, A Precious Child
“I'm an experienced grant writer / fund raising and the webinar encouraged me to be more thoughtful about what I'm doing with grant maker relationships, while also offering a few ideas for immediate action -- new things to explore.”
Mark Donato, HealthCare Chaplaincy Network
“Presenter was very knowledgeable in her topic and broke the information down in a way that was logical on a personal level, and informative.”
Angeline Woodworth, Compeer
“Engaging, practical webinar to equip grantees in their first, fledgling steps in building grant-maker relationships, before and after being awarded a grant.”
Eileen Andrews, Sheep Inc.
“Very informative; as a contractor, it was interesting to hear Diane's opinion regarding contractors contacting foundations.”
Kerri Frank, Leonardtown Grants
“So many great and practical ideas. Loved it!”
Wendy Montenegro, CASA Lane County
For more on nonprofit grants, check out these webinars.