How To Create An Engaged Board of Directors: A Step by Step Guide
During this 90-minute beginner-level workshop, you will get all of the tools and step-by-step instructions to create a highly effective and impactful Board of Directors.
You know that you need an active and engaged Board of Directors, but you are not sure how to create one.
Well, you are not alone. There are hundreds of thousands of nonprofits both big and small that have a lackluster Board of Directors. You know the kind. They just show up for meetings and then leave. Or they recruit all of the “warm bodies” in town to become Board members.
Your presenter, Robin L. Cabral, MA, CFRE, is on a mission to create high-performing nonprofits from the foundation up, starting with a strong and effective Board of Directors.
During This Nonprofit Webinar Recording You Will Learn:
- How to Identify the Best Candidates for Your Nonprofit Board of Directors
- How to Screen Your Prospective Board Candidates To Ensure a Match Made In Heaven
- How to Organize and Support the Board
- How to Onboard and Orient Your New Board Members
- How to Hold Engaging Board Meetings
- How to Monitor Board Performance for a High-Octane Effective Board of Directors
You Will Get All The Tools That You Need To Build Your Effective Nonprofit Board of Directors
You’ll Get These BONUS Materials:
- Board Composition Matrix Template
- Board of Directors Profile Template
- Board of Directors Recruitment Process and Procedures Sample
- A Prospective Board of Directors Application Process
- Screening Interview Template
- A Board Commitment Form Sample
- Board of Directors Responsibilities and Expectations Form Sample
- Board Self-Assessment Sample
- The Webinar Slides
- Having the right mix of skills and diversity on your Board to move your mission forward.
- Knowing that all of your Board members have been rigorously screened and are ready, willing, and able to become engaged in their work.
- Attending the perfect Board meeting that starts and ends on time covering all the key topics to move your organization into the future.
- Maximizing your Board’s performance by regularly assessing and holding Board members accountable to established expectations.
As a long-time fundraising expert, Robin understands the importance of Board governance to the overall effectiveness of an organization, including fund development. With over twenty years of experience, she teaches the exact steps that she has used to transform organization’s Board of Directors from lifeless to lively and from management to governance creating high-performing organizations and meaningful board engagement.
About Your Topic Expert:
Robin is specifically qualified to teach this webinar because she:
- Has Worked with dozens of Boards of Directors in the fundraising planning process.
- Has Conducted dozens of trainings to Boards on their roles and fund development.
- Holds a MA in Philanthropy and Fund Development from St. Mary’s University of Minnesota
- Maintains the CFRE credential
- And, is an ICC Certified Accredited Career Coach
Robin L. Cabral is a Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) with over 25 years of experience. Robin has raised millions of dollars assisting nonprofit organizations as a development professional, overseeing all aspects of fund development, from annual funds to capital campaigns and donor communications.
Robin obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree in sociology from the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth and a Master of Arts in Philanthropy and Fund Development from Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota. She currently holds the designation of Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) and is a graduate of Leadership Southcoast (2010).
Robin is an active member of the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) and adheres to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards of Professional Practice. She has served on the board of AFP-RI and the National Catholic Development Conference Planning Committee and Professional Development Committee. She has been a conference presenter, workshop leader, roundtable leader, moderator, and facilitator, and was an AFP-RI Conference Planning Committee Co-Chair. She is also an AFP Master Faculty Trainer.
In 2012, Robin launched Development Consulting Solutions to provide outsourced fund development consulting services and interim fund development staffing. She works with small to mid-sized nonprofits throughout the Northeastern United States and beyond.
What Attendees Said about This Nonprofit Webinar:
“The presenter is very knowledgeable and easy to follow. She provides numerous templates and suggestions which can be put into place immediately.”
Lori Baker, Alexander Leigh Center for Autism
“Wow, I am the President and Founder of a non-profit organization that is now in it's third year of operation. This webinar was exactly what I needed and look forward to sharing this information with the Board. Plus I now have way more knowledge regarding finding the best Board candidates, being clear on what the expectations are and performing the annual self-assessments. Furthermore it's time to develop a Board Governance Committee.”
Dionne Williamson, UPward Design for Life
“As they say... "ignorance is bliss". I never knew there was so much to creating a good and effective board of directors. The presenter opened my eyes to what it takes to move my nonprofit forward!”
Teresita Johnson, Stella Maris Center
“The webinar gave wonderful insight into the process of creating an involved and committed board. support was given to the positive things our organization was doing as well and considerable guidance with respect to our organizational shortcomings and how to correct them.”
Dwayne Aboud, El Paso Border Youth Athletic Association
“This was so incredibly helpful and showed the major gaps we have in board management and engagement.”
Greta Walker, Bridge of Life
“Robin's presentation was educational AND thought-provoking for me! It was helpful to learn that we're doing some things right, but could make improvements. I can't wait to get into the supplemental materials, as I think those alone justify the cost of the webinar. Highly recommend!”
Karen Fouts, SIETAR USA
“This webinar was a great resource for best practice knowledge of board development. I am excited to take many of the things I learned and the shared tools and use them in the field with my Board of Directors. I highly recommend this for anyone in governance or who engages with your organization's board.”
Whitney Wong, Oregon Nurses Association
“The amount of material and pace was excellent. It can be overwhelming to get new information and I am very confident I can help reshape and implement the items discussed.”
Danielle Blackstone, The Diaper Bank of CT harnesses
“This was a great webinar that highlighted what we are missing at the board level and how to put together a really good board, and how to keep them engaged for maximum performance.”
Regina Barhydt, Eating Disorders Resource Center
“How to engage your board is a realistic, inspirational reminder and educational tool about what we should be doing before we complain about our board members!”
Mary Rottschafer, Critter Barn
“I was astounded by what I didn't know about Creating an Engaged BoD! I have served on many boards for many years, and I don't think that any of them had (any/all) the processes that were presented today. While my nonprofit's BOD is "engaged", I didn't know the true meaning of the word until the webinar today.”
Pamela Singletary, Mission NE
For more on nonprofit board management, check out these webinars.