This blog post is by CharityHowTo Expert AJ Steinberg
In these unusual and stressful times, it is more important than ever to stay connected to family and friends. Our older folks – parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles – will especially need connection.
In my family I am dealing with aged parents (93 and 87) living close by but locked down in a senior living community. My two children and my grandchildren live far away.
As an event planner and engagement strategist, I came up with a plan to keep my whole family in touch, somewhat sane, and loved. I want to share this with you as I know we are all facing the same situation.
Here are virtual activities that I have scheduled for the next month.
Remember, it is important that you have one-on-one virtual time with you friends and loved ones as well as wonderful and memorable group engagement.
We really need both. Also, these are great things to do with friends as well. We all need our friends at times like this.
- Cook a favorite family recipe while on FaceTime
- Write love notes to family and take photos and text them
- Have a family trivia contest among the generations
- Play “Name that Tune” with a group of family members
- Watch a favorite old movie in tandem on FaceTime
- Take a pretend vacation to exotic location and include photos and music
- Have funny response cards to hold up during FaceTime
- Sing a song, play an instrument, hold a family talent show
- Have a song list and sing along to a new song each day
- Plant a garden and share the progress via FaceTime each day
Just as important as connection, is compassion
Listen, listen, listen
Acknowledge rather than dismiss fears and concerns
Lead the conversation to positive subjects
Tell them you love them and are proud of them
Engagement and connection have never been more important. We are in this together, and together we stand #CoronaStrong.
If you’re interested in the webinars that A.J. teaches with CharityHowTo, click here.
About The Author
A.J. Steinberg is a 20-year veteran event producer and engagement strategist. She is a popular webinar presenter, speaker, topic expert, and consultant in the nonprofit community.
A.J. has produced over 100 events and raised millions of dollars for nonprofit organizations, and continues her mission of saving the world, one event at a time. You can reach A.J. at aj@QueenBeeFundraising.com