As grant professionals, we rarely know exactly who will be the reviewers of the grant proposals we have toiled over for hours and hours.
We assume that they have some subject matter expertise, but are unsure whether they possess a Ph.D. in the subject or are self-taught and a passionate volunteer.
We assume that they have received some training from the grantmaker related to what they are looking for in a proposal, but are unsure as to if this is their first time as a reviewer or if they are a seasoned grant reviewer.
We assume that they are excited to help review and recommend proposals that will help move the grantmaker’s mission or policy goals forward, but we are unsure about what their personal understanding of different methods to achieve the mission or goals may be.
With so much uncertainty and room for assumptions to be made about the reviewers of our hard work, how can we as grant professionals consistently wow our grant application reviewers? In fact, how can we be sure that we are knocking their socks off?
Here are 5 tips for “knocking your grant reviewer’s socks off:”
- Create a consistent story across all grant application elements.
- Write in a way that is concise and compelling in order to be competitive.
- Write using language that reflects the language you read in the grantmaker’s materials, request for proposals, etc.
- Avoid industry jargon and acronyms.
- Synthesize complicated data or information to help reviewers quickly understand – when allowed look to use infographics, custom charts, etc.
Still looking for more detailed information about how to knock your grant reviewer’s socks off?
- What are the steps of writing a letter of inquiry that grab your reviewer’s attention
- What are the steps of writing a concise, compelling and competitive narrative grant application
- How to wow your grant reviewers through the common elements of narrative grant application
- How to create a mock review process in your organization as part of your internal editing
Then please join us for the live premium webinar of How To Knock Your Reviewer’s Socks Off on March 30th or April 5th. Can’t make the live event? The recording and all of our bonus materials will still be delivered to your inbox along with Diane’s promise to answer any questions you have! Register here.